Dominant or Recessive

1

May 24, 2015 by nanako77

Imagine two situations that I will explain. First, a good wizard suddenly appears and tells you “I will grant all your wishes by my magic.” You would think you are lucky, wouldn’t you? Next, a good scientist suddenly appears and tells you “I will realize whatever you want by science technology.” You must be happy. But I can see anxiety in your face. Why? What is the difference between magic and science?

wpid-gattaca1

Now, I would like to introduce my favorite movie, “GATTACA”. It is a science fiction movie directed by Andrew Niccol. In this movie, it has been a common thing to have a perfect baby improved by genetic manipulation and people are divided into two types; “valids” who have dominant gene and “in-valids” who have recessive gene. DNA plays a prior role on deciding social class.

It seems like an extreme situation, but it is possible to happen because the present science technology has already reached that level. However, we have to concider whether we should use science technology that way or not. Is it permissible to realize whatever we want since we have enough ability to achieve it?

I questioned at the first paragraph about the difference between magic and science. In my personal opinion, the reason why we feel negative image in science is  that we all know putting our only trust in manmade thing restricts our infinite possibility. Something beyond the imagination always encourages us and gives us hope because we don’t need to explain the reason. And we call that kind of thing like miracle or magic. This movie tells us that we have to believe any possibility and not to give up on chasing dream because of the thing people made.

Hope the science will never take our dreams away…

1 comment »

1. yui says:

I’m sometimes overwhelmed by the recent development of science and technology, and wondering if we’re moving toward right direction. I would like to watch this movie if I have a chance.