Miss Representation Review

0

November 19, 2020 by Yohei

Since there was a number of issues claimed in the single documentary, it is difficult to address all here. Instead, I would like to refer to one specific point which brought me a completely new perspective about fictions, whether it is good or bad, and that encouraged me to always enjoy future shows along with that point of view.

In the documentary, an assertion was made that the portion of female protagonists in American TV shows and movies are quite small, and that if any, they are very often depicted as pursuing romantic relationship with male characters. Since I grew up being mostly exposed to entertainment produced in Japan, I only had a very ambiguous impression on fictions created in other countries; I vaguely thought that women were portrayed, and actually were “stronger” in the United States. However, after watching the show, that idea was completely blown away, and the thought which was newly brought was that the former impression I had on American women could have even been a fabrication created by media, which simply reflected the ideal female figures in audience.

As the idea that media is not only what reflects how we think, but also what creates how we think was fairly new to me, this kind of transformation in the perspective cannot be made without any input. In that sense, the documentary gave me a very good opportunity to think about gender issues.