Society of the Snow

0

February 2, 2024 by keiki86

This movie is based on a true story of a 1970s accident in the Andes Mountains. A plane carrying 45 people crashed into the snowy mountains, and after 72 days lost, 16 people were rescued. After watching this movie I was surprised that they succeeded in making such an interesting entertainment out of such a tragic incident. This actual incident has been made into a movie many times before, but this movie focuses on the boundary between the living and the dead. The film aims to deconstruct the boundaries between survivors and the dead in this case. A character who dies in the movie serves as the narrator, and I was impressed by his narration, “They were dead like us. And only they got to return home. It is also suggestive that although they were Christians, they practiced cannibalism, which is taboo, to return home alive. I think this film is one of the best films I have seen in years, as it succeeds in extracting suggestive lessons and theses from such a tragic actual incident and building an interesting narrative.