Homeless men denied shelter in middle of Typhoon

0

October 20, 2019 by nanae90

Typhoon 19th has brought a heavy rain and winds to Japan through 12th-13th of October and killed more than 72 people. It was the country’s worst storm in decades.

When the two homeless men tried to use a shelter in Tokyo, they were turned away because they did not have their own addresses. This case has caused a huge debate in Japan. On that day, he spent his night under an umbrella beneath the eaves of a building. He said he wanted them to allow him into the facility because the wind and the rain was strong.

After when this news has spread through the social media, there was a outrage at the shelter’s decision. But others were less sympathetic, and suggests that smelly and mentally ill homeless people should only be allowed into shelters if there was a separate space.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was asked about the case in parliament and said that evacuation centers should let anyone in who has come to evacuate and they will try to look into facts and take an appropriate measures.

When I knew this news at the very first time, I couldn’t believe it because I believe everyone should have the right to evacuate and they should’t be discriminate just because they don’t have their own house. Human decency should be focused more.