Switzerland gun-control : Voters back EU regulations

2

June 28, 2019 by Minami

On May 19, the referendum was held on whether adopt gun-control measures which aim of preventing terrorism in Switzerland. Almost 64% of voters in this country supported tightening of gun laws to confirm with European Union regulations. Switzerland is not EU member, but there is a risk removal from the open-border Schengen Area due to ignore a reinforcement of gun-control. However, nearly 48% of Swiss households own a gun because Switzerland adopts national military system. Moreover, rifle shooting and hunting as a sport are also active, so the country is the highest rates of private ownership in Europe. Therefore, Swiss officials negotiated concessions, but some gun activists argued that the rules are violation of citizen’s rights. When I heard the news, I think havung guns are not safe because someone who uses guns as a weapon. Therefore, the country with having guns should take an effort to decrease gun-crime rate.

1. yang74 says:

Usually, we hear the gun accident happens in America so I feel we need to be careful gun only in America but I realize there are more countries that allow to having a gun. This post help us to think about the gun problem again!

2. kim021 says:

Many people think America is the only country which needs more restriction of gun control. But I also didn’t know that Switzerland rand in the highest rates of private gun ownership in Europe! Hope that world can find peace without gun.