Do we really care about the handicapped?

1

May 25, 2019 by kim021

Last week in the class, there was a discussion topic about guide dogs. I talked about how they help their owners and how they get trained to be guide dogs. Through the class, I started to wonder how our society supports them and what kind of support is needed.
How often do you see guide dogs in public spaces? In my experience, I’ve seen them several times on the street with their visually impaired owners. In indoor places, however, I have hardly seen them, because most of the places, such as stores, restaurants, or cafe, do not allow ‘pets.’ But in my opinion, guide dogs should not be treated the same as ‘pets.’ They are doing their duty to lead and protect their owner safely. Yet, entrance for dogs, including guide dogs, is restricted in many place, so that the owners cannot freely get into the places they want to go. If we really have any consideration for those who are handicapped, such restriction should be changed. I know it is impossible to make segregated places only for them, but if we put up with small inconveniences and let them in, it will help them to go anywhere they want. In short, they need more empathy and consideration from public to live together in society.

1 comment »

1. minori09 says:

If there is no person who are handicapped, people cannot truly understand them. I have not known such persons or dogs. But when I was an elementary school student, the person who was with a guide dog taught us many things. The experience was very impressive for me, and I think that it is better that the occasion like this will be held more than now.