Movie Review② Night on Earth by Jim Jarmusch

2

December 27, 2017 by noel016

Night on Earth is a film directed by Jim  Jarmusch in 1991. The film consists of five different short stories happened during the same night in different cities. All of the stories are mainly focused on the unique conversation between the driver and the customer in a taxi. The locations are Los angels, New York, Paris, Rome, and Helsinki. Every stories are relatively simple that my friend said it was boring, but I think the ordinariness of the stories is the charm of this movie.

Particularly I like the story of Los Angels, one of its scene is used in the image above. Corky (performed by Winona Ryder in her most bririant season) is a taxi driver and she picks up a  movie casting agent, Victoria in an evening. As the conversation going on, Victoria gets interested in Corky’s unique character. Finally, she suggests Corky to be an actress saying that “you have something special.”  However, Corky rejects the offer just because she is satisfied with being a taxi driver and  going to be a mechanic in the future.  I love the word she said in this scene like “That’s not real life for me.” Maybe many girls will choose to be an actress than being a cabdriver, but she didn’t.  I felt her strong will for carrying out what she really want to do is so impressive and I thought I want to live like her.

The other four stories are also very heartwarming and have some instructive lines.  I want you to watch this movie when you want nothing to do  in weekends. I’m sure you’ll be filled with warm feeling and think about the importance of ordinary happiness.

1. Miki Matsumoto says:

I have not watched this movie before, but your description made me interested in it. Ordinary happiness is what exists everywhere but we cannot find. I wantto know more.

2. sae16 says:

I watched this movie last week. I want nothing to do in weekends.