Movie Review① ”Requiem for the American Dream”

0

December 27, 2017 by noel016

This movie is a documentary story about Noam Chomsky.  I had known him in some news articles but this was the first time I saw him speaking.  After watching this movie, I had a feeling of anxiety about our society.  He was especially talking about the U.S but some of his warning applies to other country’s current situation too.

In his principal  9, “Manufacture Consent” , he explained that the best way to controll people  is to give them freedom, not a power. To enjoy the freedom means to be a “fabricating consumer”.  By watching varieties of commodity advertisements, people get caught in the cycle of excessive consumption and hardly can get it out.  What happened as the result is that the public become less ambitious about the rights they must have and be controlled their attitudes or thoughts by the people in the top.  Thinking about Japan, I guess this “freedom” has given rise to so called “the political apathy” .  Why are not there more people who argue or protest against the government?  Now I guess that is because we can enjoy our life without caring much about the political issues thanks to  the plentiful  fascinating commodities.  We can feel happy by eating variety of foods or buying favorite clothes.  Thereby, the time we think and argue about complicated issues such as international politics or economics are disappearing from our routined life.  I have a sense of danger against this situation.  It should be the “public”, not some politicians, who creates the society as Chomsky says in the documentary. If we continue being as fabricating customer, we will miss the chance to against the decision made by government and just be recognized as a part of supporter of them.  I feel a strong need of being more conscious about what is going on around the world. However, the ordinary life with many entertainments does not seem to have any problems.  I felt Chomsky’s words are something restraining not only Americans but also everyone including us, Japanese.