Movie Review: New Year’s Eve

0

October 23, 2016 by natsuko16

Hello everyone, are you having a great day today? I am Natsuko. Today, I am going to write about a movie “New Years Eve”.

new-years-eve-movie-poster

This is another romantic comedy movie, but it is pretty different from usual romantic comedy movie, since this movie focus on not only one couple, but a lot of people. So, if you ask my mother, she will say she cannot follow the story because there are too many things going on. haha. It does not focus on very sweet, romantic part, so…maybe you can enjoy even if you are not a big fan of romantic comedy movie.

Plot

There is a big event on a New Year’s Eve at Times Square, the “Times Square Ball”. Different people, different life, they all have different story. The special night of the New Year’s Eve, who you spend the night with?

You are going to see a couple, mother and daughter, a new born baby, a dying man, a woman who is tired, a guy who does not like the festivity mood… Every one of them has a different story. You will see a little bit of their life, on the New Year’s Eve.

New Year’s Eve Culture

In Japan, New Year’s Eve or New Years Day is for family, not for friends or someone you are dating. So not so many people party all night at the city. You would rather spend a night with your family watching a hit songs show or something on a TV, eating Toshikshi soba. So it might be a little weird watching people hanging out in the city in this movie.

Though, in the United States or in many western culture, New Year’s Eve is like Japanese Christmas, spend a night having fun with your friends. You go out, you party, and kiss at the midnight. (There is even a section on wikipedia writing about new year’s kiss.)

Well, there are some event going on on the New Year’s Eve in Japan too, such as concert, but count down to a new year is more like simple, quiet thing. No fireworks. You might hear a gong of the bell from the nearest shrine though.

One Thing

Among all of them, there were not a story about a same sex couple. I mean, it does not have to be there and I do not mean to be so political, but if you show many stories about couples or your important one, they could show maybe one same sex couple. They could put some diversity in it.

Comments

Until last year, I have never partied on New Year’s Eve, because I grew up in a Japanese family and as I mentioned, Japanese people stay New Year’s Eve with their family at their own (or maybe grandparents) house. However, last year, I was studying abroad in the United States, and finally I spent Christmas and New Year’s Eve with friends in New York. Yes, in Manhattan, New York. !. I went to a party of my friend’s friends, and since it was too crazy I did not go to a ball dropping event, I had a pretty nice time at the party. It was one of my small dream to spend the holiday there, and it felt like miracle. So when I was watching this movie, I felt so much that I miss it there.

When you have a chance, you may want to go there and spend a New Year’s Eve in NY. Or, you can see a feeling of it if you watch this movie.

It is a romantic comedy movie that you may want to watch with your boyfriend or girlfriend, or some group of close friends. I do not suggest you to watch it alone since you may feel lonely watching people with their important people in their life in this movie.