Japanese Movie “Writhing Tongue”

0

September 29, 2023 by risako74

I watched a Japanese horror movie “Writhing Tongue” (1980).

This movie depicts a little girl infected with tetanus fighting the disease. Although this movie is categorized as horror movie, there are not many jump scares; the horror of tetanus is emphasized throughout. In addition, it was impressive that the parents’ exhaustion as they watch their loving daughter being driven to the brink of death by tetanus day by day.

When I was watching, I was more irritated by mother’s hysterical attitude toward the doctor in charge. In additon, since this film was shot over 40 years ago, the hospital where the daughter was addmitted was a mess, and I was also irritated about it. I

would not recommend you to watch this movie, but the last scene, when the dauter was fully recovered and said to the mother “Mom, I want to eat a  choclate bread.” may be impressive for parants who have sickly or hospitalized children.

Through watching this movie, I learned diffiulty of treating sick children because of their shyness and lack of vocablary. At first, doctors had hard time communicate with the daughter, and could not spot that her illness was tetanus. I realized that being a doctor must be hard because they take care of not only their patients, but also patient’s families.