being half

0

January 22, 2023 by grace31

I’m half Filipina and Japanese and some people say I am very lucky to be born half. But honestly, I do not think that I was lucky. I think people tell me that I am lucky when they hear that I lived overseas and went to an international school and when they hear that I speak three languages. I do think that I am blessed that I had the opportunity to have that environment growing up. Although it is not always good to be half. When I entered this university, I had an opportunity to discuss how nationalities affect personalities. I was talking about behaviors that Japanese people tend to have, and one of the students started saying that “you’re only half Japanese so don’t talk like you’re Japanese” and I was surprised about it. Because I didn’t think I would be classified like that. This was just one example that happened to me recently. But growing up I learned that when you’re half you’ll be excluded in some things somehow. So it is not always good being a half and I do not feel lucky about it.  I know people telling me I’m lucky, they meant it as a compliment. But I feel that not being half is also lucky. So, I guess that is what they call “naimononedari” or “crying for the moon”