A craze for “eyebrow cutting”

0

November 23, 2021 by hanako35

I watched a documentary show on TV yesterday, and it was very interesting, so I want to write about it. The documentary focuses on “eyebrow cutting” trends among Japanese people. A TV staff interviewed some customers who went to a beauty salon in Osaka. In this salon, the “eyebrow cutting” menu is the most popular among customers. Have you ever fixed the shape of your eyebrows? Maybe most young women have experienced cutting their eyebrows when putting on their makeup, but what surprised me most is that men also did “eyebrow cutting”. Why is “eyebrow cutting” so trendy today?

It is related to COVID-19. The number of people who do “eyebrow cutting” is increasing in proportion as they are wearing masks every day. We can’t see whole others’ faces when we wear masks, and instead we judge others’ looks by others’ eyes. However, what people miss is the importance of eyebrows. One beautician said that eyebrows account for 70% of facial expressions. In the previous semester, I took a communication class, and I learned facial expressions. Nevertheless, I missed the role of eyebrows, too.

COVID-19 changes the sense of beauty. A few decades ago, only women are supposed to wear their makeup, but now, men also do so. I think it is very connected to the gender-neutral concept. A craze for “eyebrow cutting” reflects today’s society very well. I really felt that we are surrounded by new things and society changes rapidly every day.