Society Shapes People’s Way of Thinking

0

July 17, 2021 by mai46

Through the video of Miss Representation, I realized that society shapes people’s way of thinking and there is a possibility that it can lead to stereotypes or bias. Media is one of the most influential things. In fact, media and advertisements tend to reflect typical images, phrases, and appearance which people think man/ woman should be or look like. However, it is not good to require typical things for all women. Therefore, what the media express and broadcast are very important and they should be proper for all people.

I was surprised that the ratio, age and costumes of women appearing in the media are unbalanced or expressed excessively even on news programs. Moreover, watching this video reminded me of the Tokyo governor election last year. It was important as Tokyo is a center of Japan in terms of economy, politics, and activities. However, at first, many people focused on her outlooks and blamed her make-up because the candidate was a woman. People should realize the sad fact that women who have been damaged by bias or stereotypes from others in society like the case I mentioned.

Having said that, I think it is good to have a target that we want to be like models, artists, and talents who have good appearance when they are careful not to pursue excessively and understand that people have a different perception about “good appearance.”

In conclusion, we are influenced by people and society around us including information from the media. The phrase that I was impressed by is “Do as what you want to see to the world.” With this phrase, I hope that people try to make a society where everyone lives comfortably by accepting each advantage, uniqueness and difference.