Dead poet society

0

October 23, 2020 by ayano108

The subject of this film is “Carpe Diem” , which means live out today with  everything I’ve got.  Mr. Keating, a progressive professor, tries to let his students to be free from the highly disciplined elite education. I was surprised  that this film was made 30 years ago. Nowadays, we have more choices after graduations and not so much obvious pressures to obtain the high social status by parents and people around you rather than 30 years ago. However, there are still such a stereotypical values today, which is like studying hard, graduating the popular university, getting hired with a highly-paid job and being of high social standing is the only way that you can get your ordinary happiness in your life. Especially, Japanese society has a system of people sticking to the educational background;  we have lots of juku for the entrance exams and job hunting of new graduates. Under this stressful system, the number of committing suicide is the present issues as well as the amounts of depression and karoshi.  I mean that this film is an enlightenment to not only the values of 30 years ago but also that of Japan today and this film reminds us of the meaning of living at this moment.