Documentary Review; “Miss Representation” by Netflix

0

December 23, 2019 by rena24

This documentary is mostly about the negative images about women that are produced by mass media and their affects on women’s position in the society. Over one billion people all over the world access to the Internet everyday. Media has strong and powerful message and it especially impacts young age. Girls often get messages all about the bodies and out-looking from the media. Models on media give them the idea-“this is what women should look like” which cause serious stereotypes for them. Moreover,  the technology of computer can even make perfect face and body images to get possible standard.

After I watched this documentary, it reminded me of the news of Victoria’s Secret. Victoria’s Secret is one of American brand that sell women’s underwear and beauty products. All the models of this brand are so skinny and tall and they have an anual fashion show by them. The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show models are chosen according to very specific details. Models must have 34-inch bust, 24-inch waste, and 34-inch hips. They must be at least 18 years old. They must be between 5 feet 8 inches and 6 feet tall. This fashion show effect negatively on women’s self-image like they are perfect and others are not.

I personally am a big gun of Victoria’s Secret it’s self and annual show as well so I could see that how its image effect women negatively. I also wish I can be like them because they are “perfectly” beautiful. However, it is important for us to think that they are not perfect and “model” of us.