Movie review-Letters from Iwo jima

5

November 7, 2017 by Manabu Fujita

“Letters from Iwo jima” is a movie of U.S. made in 2006. This is the second movie that follows “Flags of Our Fathers” that Iwo jima fought during the World war 2 from the viewpoint of both Japan and the United States. It is noteworthy that this movie was made by Clint Eastwood. He is a famous directer: Dirty Harry, Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby.

In this movie, Kazunari Ninomiya, who is a member of very popular idol group in Japan, is a leading actor. Therefore, many Japanese people, especially women, saw the movie.

I have been interested in Japanese history since I saw this movie. Miserable descriptions were clearly made, and the traditional customs and ways of thinking in Japan were well reflected. I mean this movie is a good material to get interested in Japanese history and culture. So, I recommended this movie to my international friends to make them be interested in Japan.

We may feel so sorry when we see many miserable scenes in this movie. However, it means this movie tells us how miserable wars are and precious peace is.

1. daichi041 says:

I also did not know this movie is made by American director. I do not like such real war movie because I am so sad that a lot of people who have family have to die for the own country. However, I have heard this movie is so good.

2. masaya070 says:

I wrote about this movie too!
    I think the point of this movie is that dispite this movie is made by American direrctor, the content is from the Japanese perspective.

3. Miki Matsumoto says:

I didn’t know this movie is made by an American directer. I imagine it contains some sort of bias because a foreigner drew Japanese history. I want to watch it and know how he describes historical details within the movie.

4. mina031 says:

We can learn Japanese history just from view of Japan. So, I think we Japanese should watch this kind of movie.

5. manyo183 says:

I sometimes think that I have to study history.
    Remembering many historical terms is indeed important, but that doesn’t mean it’s all that matters.
    To watch a war film would also teach me something important, so I want to watch it.