movie review : Soul Surfer

3

October 14, 2016 by juri16

Hi! This is Juri, and today I’m going to write a movie review about a film called “SOUL SURFER”. It’s a film that was released in 2011 in America. This film was based on a true story that happened in Hawaii.

PLOT

The story is about a 13 year-old girl named Bethany Hamilton(Anna Sophia Robb). Her parents and 2 brothers were wonderful surfers that made her dream of becoming a professional surfer. One day since it was close to her surfing competition, Bethany and her dad and friends went to a place where the waves are big and rough. They were having a lot of fun, until suddenly a Huge shark attacked Bethany and snapped off her left arm. The sea was immediately colored red and Bethany was sent to the hospital. After the surgery, Bethany was able to live, although she lost her left arm. Though she was very shocked, she couldn’t give up her dream of becoming a professional surfer. She goes through many ups and downs but never gave up and kept on practicing and finally achieved her dream.

REAL LIFE

On the morning of Halloween 2003, Bethany Hamilton was hit by a shark and lost her left arm. She lost more than 60% of the whole blood in side her body, and it took her 7 days to recover in the hospital. Although within a month Bethany decided to go back on board, and she is now 26 years old, married, and is a professional surfer.

She received the “TEENS CHOICE AWARD” in 2004, and released her first book, “Soul Surfer, a true story of faith, family and fighting to get back on the board.” In 2005 she wins the championship of the NSSA (National Scholastic Surfing Association). She started to appear on professional games from 2008. Then in 2010 a movie based on her book, started to be produced.

COMMENTS

The scene of the shark attack was so real that, it was very shocking and unbelievable, although to think that this was something that happened in real life, it was very impressing. After the last scene, and before the movie roll, they show the story about Bethany with her own pictures. How she recovered and what she is doing now. Seeing that right after the movie, makes it even more fascinating.

Seeing a girl younger than my age, facing a huge problem like this, and dreaming so big was very inspiring and I am pretty sure that Bethany Hamilton encouraged many people to pursue their dreams, and don’t give up. There are a lot of films of success stories on men around the age of 20-40 or women around 20’s. Although I thought stories of girls aged this young is very rare.

「bethany hamilton」の画像検索結果

1. kota16 says:

Thanks for your review.
    She is so strong and her brave actions encouraged me.

2. natsuko16 says:

I have watched this one, and I thought this story itself was interesting too. I guess it was harder in real life than in a movie but still, it seemed real and inspiring.

• juri16 says:

Yeah… like imagining my self being attacked by a shark in the sea, I would never be able to even go back to swim there, but she’s just so strong and brave.