The Grapes of Wrath

0

June 29, 2016 by yumi16

Image result for 怒りの葡萄

Hi! I’m Yumi. I’m going to introduce you about my fifth movie review.

This is based on the novel of John Steinbeck who is a novel writer of United State.

This is a story about 1940 before the WW2 begin. At the time, in middle of America, like Oklahoma, had a terrible dust bowl. People in Oklahoma had no choice to move out the city. This describes the one family that they had to move out and look for new place to live in. At that time, people who suffered from dust bowl aimed at California which is the city of fertile soil and they thought that they could start a fresh new life in there. They aim at California by one track. They had troubles during the way to California, however finally they got California, they suffered from the low wage labor and discrimination from local people. The newcomers had no right and they were accomodated to camp. The treat they got was terrible. They treated as if they are slaves and as if they had no basic rights.

First of all, this is black and white movie. So, the techniques used in the movie were totally differnt from the colored movie what we usually see.  It is difficult to see the actor’s facial expression. Also I found that color is the important factor to understand the story easily.

I thought that there are three effective points. First is the sound effect. I thought that sound effect of the whistling sound of trees and the sound of the water came out from tap are outstanding.

Second is plot. Due to the black and white movie, it is difficult to understand even it is night or morning, and also difficult to understand the actor’s facial expression. I think we can see the black and white movie including our own understanding and imagination. If this is a color movie, we can see everything so we don’t need to think anything except accepting the things that are shown.

Third is a fashion. This is a story of 40’s and poor people are described, so  the fashion is like country side. We cannot see the details but it is dirty and cheap.

Because I’ve never seen black and white movie, I learned many different things from the movie, and thanks to the modern technology, our entertainment became richer. Also my thinking toward the color changed. I didn’t think the color significantly, however from now on, I will pay attention to the meaning that each color has.