How to make stress your friend?

0

June 28, 2015 by haruna75

Lately, I have been very busy and tired. To be honest, I am kind of overwhelmed with a lot of homework,exams, and part time job in order to make money for hung out with friends. I am not that much neither organized person nor prompt one. I was feeling stress at all.

But after I watched this ted talk, I was able to change my mind. I believed that stress is really bad, and it won’t bring any profit but, make people depress. However, according to the ted talk speaker, who is Stanford University psychologist, is a leader in the growing field of “science-help”, when you change your mind about stress, you can change your body’s response to stress. 

“So my goal as a health psychologist has changed. I no longer want to get rid of your stress. I want to make you better at stress. And we just did a little intervention. If you raised your hand and said you’d had a lot of stress in the last year, we could have saved your life, because hopefully the next time your heart is pounding from stress, you’re going to remember this talk and you’re going to think to yourself, this is my body helping me rise to this challenge. And when you view stress in that way, your body believes you, and your stress response becomes healthier.” (6;52 in her speech)

In conclusion, I think most of you were very surprised at her statement because, we have been believing that stress makes us sick and we build up certain stereotype toward the stress. Foe example, stress is very bad and harmful, it increases the risk of everything from the common cold to cardiovascular disease. However, the experiment shows that stress is innocent, as a matter of fact, it has positive aspect. 

I believe that the more this positive aspects of stress widely known and esteemed, the more people live healthier or live happily.