Emergency shelters made from paper

0

June 28, 2015 by haruna75

The ted talk speaker is Shigeru Ban, is Japanese architecture. According to Mr. Ban, he is the sole architecture who is making buildings with paper “cardboard tube”. He chose cardboard tube because not only environmentally friendly,  it is easily enhances waterproofing property, but also possible to fireproof.

He used to work for privileged people, rich people, government and developers, they have a lot of money and power. Those who have money hire architectures to show off their strength. Mr. Ban disappointed this circumstance, and motivated for work for society.

Mr. Ban said,

So I was very disappointed that we are not working for society, even though there are so many peoplewho lost their houses by natural disasters. But I must say they are no longer natural disasters. For example, earthquakes never kill people, but collapse of the buildings kill people. That’s the responsibility of architects.Then people need some temporary housing, but there are no architects working there because we are too busy working for privileged people. So I thought, even as architects, we can be involved in the reconstruction of temporary housing. We can make it better. So that is why I started working in disaster areas.

anderson_mg_5524

Christchurch Cardboard Cathedral in New Zealand after the deadly earthquake of 2011.

In 1995, to show that his concept of building houses from paper really worked. N

I thought this cardboard tube building is very innovative and resourceful. It’s easily assembled and recycled after it’s taken down. This is very good for temporary shelter.living in evacuation shelters is very stressful  because there is no privacy, by spreading Mr. Bans idea, we can ease stress.