Massive earthquake hit Japan

0

January 4, 2024 by asuka172

Japan began the year 2024 with a massive earthquake in Ishikawa Prefecture. The first quake occurred in the afternoon of January 1st. I was at home in Tokyo, and I felt a slight tremor for about a minute. Compared to the quake I experienced when I was in elementary school in 2011, I thought the quake would not be as strong as the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake which was the largest magnitude ever recorded in Japan. However, as I watched the reports on TV, I got the more detailed information. Due to the earthquake, a tsunami occurred along the Sea of Japan, damaging cities and homes and forcing people to evacuate.

By watching the series of this event, I learned the importance of mass media. NHK first stopped broadcasting normal programs and raised the alarm about the earthquake. The reporter emotionally told us about the danger of the tsunami and managed to get people not to stay at home but to go to the evacuation center.

Since new media like SNS became popular, the old mass media such as TV and newspapers seem outdated. But, in fact, many people get information from TV and newspapers when disasters and accidents occur because people think the media is the most reliable source. At this moment, I think the old mass media will never die unless the new media limit the people who can write their articles to have more reliable writer.

I hope things get back to normal soon.