Extraordinary Attorney Woo

0

December 23, 2022 by sayako72

It follows Woo Young-woo, a female rookie attorney with autism spectrum disorder, who is hired by a major law firm in Seoul. Being different from her neurotypical peers, her manner of communication is seen by them as odd, awkward, and blunt. With each legal case and through her intelligence and photographic memory, she becomes an increasingly competent attorney. It deals with disability, but it is not a forced sympathy or moralistic drama. Viewers can change their “social prejudices” and “viewpoints on disabilities” that they had not consciously considered before through Young-Woo’s words and actions. There is humor, and the resolution of the case is satisfying. I watched this drama on Netflix this summer. It changed my impression of Korean dramas. Until now, I have only watched romance, suspense, and other thrilling dramas, but I was able to watch this drama peacefully. Moreover, my main purpose is Lee Jun-ho played by Kang Tae-oh. He is the assistant who watches over her and falls in love with her. For Jun-ho, Young-woo is not “someone he has to take into consideration,” but an important companion and the woman he loves. My favorite scene is where he said “If I don’t touch you, will your heart not throb? Even if you were with me?” I was hooked on their love story.