Gender

0

October 27, 2020 by yan138

I would like to have a discussion about gender equality this time.
We watched several TV advertisements during the class, many of them have a stereotype image of gender. The creator of the video recreated some advertisements, by changing the gender of the characters in the advertisements. Many of the advertisements prove to be strange after the recreating. For example, one advertisement of potato chips includes a man and his girlfriend. The original scene features the woman lying on a bed, fully covered with potato chips but naked. Her boyfriend would arouse after seeing the scene. The recreated scene features the man lying on the bed. The whole recreated video appears to be ridiculous.
I think this is due to the traditional understanding of both genders. Females tend to be passive, to lead the domestic stuff. On the other hand, males are more active, the society expects men to do something “powerful”.
Even in modern society, such tradition remains. However, it does not mean that such traditions are out-dated. In many ways, traditional gender recognitions are not considered to be good. For example, the inequal opportunities in a large firm for male workers and female workers. In modern society, I cannot come up with any events except being pregnant that women cannot do.