East Is East

0

June 21, 2017 by chihiro131

We watched a movie “East is East” in IE class some weeks ago. I think that this movie’s main point is about the difficulty of understanding other country culture.

Father John is from Pakistan and he hoped that their children grow like Pakistan human. Therefore, the father made their children to go to pray in the Mosque. Also, he planned to children’s wedding with Pakistan woman without children’s permission. The family live in Manchester, England. So, his children believed they are English people. At first, they followed what the father said. However, he was too strict. They came to dislike them. I can understand that his feeling that he want to teach Pakistan culture such as clothes, manners or religion. If I were in same situation with him, I would teach Japanese and culture to my children. All parents take action in order to children have a nice life. I think all his action was for children, but he was too strict.

I have a friend who is half Japanese and half Filipino. Therefore, she can understand her mother’s language, Tagalog as well as Japanese. Furthermore, she knows a lot of culture and food well. She said that she have to choose nationality when she is 22 years old. She said “It is too difficult to choose.” I think the number of half children think about own identity or origin is large compared to other children. Therefore, I think it is enough that parents who have half children give a chance to know their country to children. Then, I think parents should leave choises to children about the nationality they choose or which language they speak and so on.