Hair Spray-Movie Review

3

May 29, 2014 by peanuts212

e0040938_21531961

Check this URL:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkzcNF-jlWw

Hello everyone, I’m going to write a movie review of “HAIRSPRAY”. This movie is musical rommance comedy film,  broadcasted in 2007. This is one of my most favorite movie because story is good, musical mumbers are special, and casts are amazing.

Story

This story begins on May 3, 1962. Tracy, a high school girl in Baltimore has a dream;Dancing on the TV show “Corny Collins’ show” which is popular among kids in Baltimore. One day, Corny announces that they hold an audition for replacement because one of the council member is pregnant.  Tracy skips her class and attends the audition next morning, but the manager of the show rejects her for being overweighted. Since she skipped her class, she meets a student dancer who dance on the show on “Negro Day”  in detention room. He teaches Tracy some dance moves. Next day, Corny Collins’ dance party is held and Tracy’s move attracts Corny Collins, and he appoints her to the council. She become a member of the show and become popular, but there are still some problems…

Characters

Tracy is an optimistic, overweighted high school girl who likes to dance and sing. Her view of racial-blindness leads her to become an strong surporter for the desegregation of the Corny Collins’ show. Her best friend Penny, who falls in love with Seaweed, (a black guy who teaches some moves to Tracy), has really strict and racist mother. Velma, the manager of the Corny Collins’ show is also racist, and weightist. Her daughter Amber is the spotlihght of the show, and her boyfriend Link is the most popular dancer in the show, and Tracy’s crush. There is also Seaweed, and his younger sister and mother and some friends of him.

Background History

The main issue of this film is racial segregation. Though 1960’s Civil Right Acts gave African American a right to vote and it looked like they are equal, in fact, it is not. There were so many racist, and they were still segregated. This movie is a fiction movie but based on that situation, and te story was written in 80s, which was another time of prevalent raism. In Corny Collins’ show, the whites allow African Americans to dance only once a month, and same kind of segregations happened in 60s.

In conclusion, Hairspray is very cheerful, happy story so this would never make you bored, and you can learn a little bit of history. If you are interested in music, this film will content you definitely.

Thank you.

1. ykkwrnnnn says:

I think trying to watch this movie

2. seina121 says:

I thought this movie was only funny movie. But now I
    realized that it includes racial discriminaton problem.
    I want to watch it as soon as posible!