Keeping surname after marriage

0

June 26, 2021 by arisa35

Few days ago, the legislation that either husbands or wives must change their surnames into the other ones after marriage was judged as constitutional. When I heard this judgement, I felt disappointed at the outdated opinion in Japan. In most countries, people have an option to choose whether they keep their surnames or change. It is said that 80% of Japanese people agree to keep surnames after marriage and I also agree with the opinion. However, the legislation has not changed for a long time. I think this adherence makes Japan more unequal between men and women. It means that the abolition of the legislation can create more equal society in Japan. I understand the difficulty of changing a custom which has continued for a long time because it can occur confusions. However, the system to give options related to surnames after marriage to people has been realized in most countries. Additionally, many people in Japan require the amendment of the legislation sincerely. I have learned social issues a lot in the university since the enrollment. The most surprising and disappointing things was the fact that Japan is a delayed country compared with other developed ones. On the other hand, I have come to be interested in the Japanese and foreign societies. I want to obtain new points of view through my curiosity.