13 reasons why

0

June 28, 2021 by mika0122

Today, I’m going to talk about the book that I read recently, “13 reasons why” which is a young adult novel written in 2007 by Jay Asher. This story begins when Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker—his classmate and crush—who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah’s voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he’ll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah’s pain, and as he follows Hannah’s recorded words throughout his town, what he discovers changes his life forever.

People might ask me why I would want to read a book about suicide, but this book is more than that. It’s not only depressing and heartbreaking but also amazing, hopeful all at the same time. It really spoke to my heart and opened my mind. I think that’s because everyone can relate to Hannah’s experience, Clay’s or other character’s. When you’re reading this book, you feel like you’re in Hannah’s shoes who tell the thirteen reasons to your friends, you feel like you’re in Clay’s shoes who regret not being able to stop her from committing suicide or you feel like you’re in one of the friend’s shoes that are afraid to listen to her audio diary but end up listening it all cause you really want to know if you’re one of the thirteen reasons she killed herself. You can feel the pain that Hannah went through or regrets that Clay and other characters felt because this story is really realistic.

1.  The more you turn the pages the more depressing the story become but this book makes you realize that your actions really do affect people and that all someone needs to do is care. It’s scary to think how your actions can affect people in both good and bad ways. And also maybe some people don’t think it’s not a good idea to let teenagers read this book because they’re afraid that some teenagers can be triggered by it and end up committing suicide. However it will give you strong and hopeful messages if you finish reading it. So I recommend this book to all teenagers.